Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Was Skyrim A Disappointment?



Note: This is not supposed to be a serious review, just me giving my thoughts.
Time for a review! What better game to review than Skyrim, a game that you either love or hate. I know, I know, I'm late by half a year. However, I thought I would point out the flaws and the strengths of this game.  The review continues after the break.

So, without further ado, FUS RO DAH!

First, the strengths. Skyrim is well known for it's amazing soundtrack. Full of amazing choir, and pure epicness, this soundtrack makes the game even more epic. I know I waited before starting my game just to hear the song! Another well known part of the game is... FUS RO DAH! This "dragon shout" is a spell used in the game that summons magic through the power of the language of the dragons. It instantly became an internet meme along with "I used to be an adventurer, but then I took an arrow to the knee". This phrase is said by a Whiterun guard who says it when he is talked to. It has sense been changed to various things such as, "I used to be ..... but then I took a .... to the knee". And, that's basically all their strengths.

Now, for the flaws. Graphics are pretty bad. Now, I know a lot of gamers are going to be pissed when I say graphics matter, but they do. Better graphics and visuals add to a better gameplay experience. Another thing is that it's plain. I got my first dragon shout and so far all I did was travel through a bunch of tunnels and caves killing zombies. I know it's just the beginning of the game, but the beginning should attract gamers into wanting to play more. Another thing is the skills and weapons. It's hard to acquire the weapons you want, and level the skills you want. That's all I have to say for now, I'll give more details and a better explanation after I have played more. Peace out!

1 comment:

  1. I'm still enjoying the game. Yet,

    Here's my list of improvements for the PC:

    (1a) Dialogue: an option to cancel his/her blathering on, in order to select a different dialogue option. I can't tell you how many times that blacksmith woman in Whiterun carries on and on, for the umpteenth time, when all I want to do is access her: 'What do you have for sale' dialogue option. Sometimes the option to buy/sell doesn't even appear in the list, until I click on her a few times. They've never fixed this.

    (1b) Dialogue: many times when I click on 'Misc'., the screen closes. I have to reinitiate the dialogue again to access his/her Misc. screen. Strange but true.

    (2) Inventory: this is a convoluted way of accessing your weapons/apparel/potions/food/Misc and so on. Let's say you want to switch to a different piece of clothing or ring, amulet etc, and drink a potion and apply a poison as well as switch weapons. It's a long winded procedure to do this. I believe they could have designed it much better than as presented. Instead we're hampered by massive amounts of scrolling up and down to find that particular ring, potion, ore etc. Believe you me, it's easy to get lost in your sea of treasure after awhile.

    (3) Combat: although much improved from previous elder scroll series, it still doesn't quite have that feel we're looking for. It's also far too easy, even with the difficulty changed.

    These points are not making me stop my play through, but they are quite annoying. There are some other errors present as well, but they escape me at the moment. Considering the game was released on November 11 / 2011, it is now July 5 / 2012, almost 8 months later. I feel that's more than enough time to work out annoying glitches. It makes you wonder what's the point in ever buying a newly released game.

    Perhaps part of the problem is production for 3 platforms, PC, PS3, and XBOX360. Who knows, but what I do know is that I'm not making excuses for them. They really need to improve on their post-sale efforts

    ReplyDelete